Ketarin forum

Link to Apps website

Banksy

I'd be interested in a right click option to open a URL to the specific applications website (yes again with the right click menu!) . The majority of applications I'm quite happy to simply know whats changed as long as I have the latest version, as they tend to be minor bug fixes etc. But over a quarter of my apps I like to see what features or changes have been made. For pure laziness a quick link to the relevant apps site would be great.

I'd expect this would require an additional App URL field when creating/editing application entries to allow entering of the applications main website address.

What are your views on this one?

But I don't see it as generally useful currently.

Hi,

Did you see this post? http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=276

The ability to add information, like software homepage, editor's name is very popular today ;)

Personnaly, what I miss the most is a link to the changelog/history/whatsnew page.

Maybe:

- the ability to define static variables with a predefined set of variable's names

- the ability to choose/add columns from these static variables

And everybody could be able to add any kind of information he needs about the softwares.

Well, this is just an idea.

• 1 month later...

I've created a new variable for custom column called {url} and added the variable "url" to the variable list of the application as "textual content". Its not the best solution but it helps :)

But it would be nice if there is a field called "Application URL"...

Why not add an {Application_URL} variable to your templates that could be populated with a 'placeholder' for each new app and display that in the custom column? Existing apps xml export could be manually edited adding that variable and info. Just my thoughts... ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I do this by defining a variable in the app that loads the URL of a version history page, news page, whatever I'm interested in seeing. I use this regex for the scrape: ^.

This regex puts the first character on the webpage into the variable. The character value is unimportant, as the variable is not used anywhere, this is a working scrape only to keep Ketarin from reporting an error.

It's a few extra clicks per app, to go see the webpage I've chosen for the 'dummy' variable. But as I don't have very many of these, it's a workable solution for me. YMMV...

--appyface

• 3 months later...

Just a thought, but wouldn´t be more useful a way to scrap the changelog text from the author website and view it directly from Ketarin? Instead of manually opening the website... i.e FileHippo keeps a record of changelogs or when you update your Firefox add-ons there is a more info button with the changelog.

Yes you're right, if the information can be scraped. But most of the URLs I have a dummy variable for, is because the scrape fails as often as it works -- due to author changing format, changing the URL etc. So while imperfect, using the dummy variables at least allow me to keep track of these URLs within Ketarin.

I also use a page-watching service (www.watchthatpage.com) as a backup to Ketarin, it watches a number of URLs that overlap with Ketarin, as well as some others that Ketarin doesn't manage for me.

Whatever works best for each person is about as good as we can do, unless this feature is added to Ketarin someday :-)

--appyface

• 3 months later...