Ketarin forum

New to Ketarin - Portable apps

Guest Rome

After a bit of tinkering around, I sort of figured out how Ketarin works, and what I would want of it.

Since most of my WorkSpace is placed inside a DropBox folder, I would like the program to download and install (extract) relative to the Ketarin path.

I started out with KeePass - I downloaded a suitable configuration from the apps database, and configured the Download path and After-update commands:

Download path (Saves in root programs directory, in which Ketarin is also present):

{startuppath}..\KeePass-{version}.{url:ext}

After commands:

..\UniExtract\UniExtract.exe "{file}" "KeePass"

del "{file}" /s /q

I did, however, notice that Ketarin doesn't keep track of what is updated after I delete the downloaded file.

Is there a way to keep a reference to let Ketarin know not to download the file over and over again?

Oh, and one more thing - in case the application is running, I would like to automatically save, quit, install and then restart. Is that possible?

On the "Advanced settings" tab you'll find the option "Ignore file information (do not re-download if file is missing)". Selecting this box will effectively solve your first problem. For the second issue, I suggest using the program 'taskkill', which is included in Windows.

TASKKILL /IM notepad.exe

May I also suggest you add the UniExtract folder to the path. This will prevent issues in the future should you have to dig into a folder before you extract it. You'll be able to just use this, without the UE path:

UniExtract.exe "{file}" "KeePass"

Few questions -

1. How can I (and should I) test to see if the task is actually running before sending the kill command?

2. Wouldn't it possibly harm the application, and/or possibly corrupt data?

3. Can I also send a command to restart the task after the download and update is complete?

Regarding your suggestion about UniExtract - Since I'm probably using this work-space on several computers,

and don't want to leave any traces after me, adding it to the path doesn't seem like a good idea.

Or can I somehow "portably" add a path?

1) You can, but it's not necessary. If it can't be found, obviously I won't be closed. ;)

2) It's possible, but only if it's in a 'blocking' state (modal popup or it refuses to acknowledge the 'close' message). Unless you use "/F" it isn't *forced* to close, it's only sent a close command (wm_close) which MOST application will acknowledge and queue their close routines.

3) Sure. Just add the command-line for the app as the last line in the 'after downloading' block.

re: path; Ah.

Yes, you could 'portably' add the path, but it's not going to gain you anything if your "utility belt" isn't going to be sticking around.