Ketarin forum

Generic (newbie) questions on how to use Ketarin

dutchclimber

Hi all,

My current questions are of a more generic nature and I might have missed it in the documentation (if so my upfront apologies for missing it).

1) I am dutch, my wife is english and we live in germany. So 'maintain' systems with in essence the same software but with different language versions. Does this mean I have to download them seperately (as different packages) or can I do multiple downloads each time replacing a certain variable with a different value

example (and YES i am a genuine paying customer for this software):

(http)://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/{country_code}_{language}/zaSuiteSetup_{version}_{language}.exe

ignore the country_code and version variables..

my focus is on {language}. I now scrape it out of the html file(s) the value can be either 'en' or 'de' (english/german)

can I do this in one go?

2) A package for me is often the download of a piece of software but also with extra's (plug-in's etc.) Can these be combined? (it could make question 1 irrelevant I realise)

3) I see a lot of posts referring to download sites (filehippo/majorgeeks/..) I seem to miss the point why you all use these sites. Why not download from the source directly? (if available)

4) 'We' (i am part of the community now ;-)) all create our own application download for each piece of software we use. Can't we share these 'templates(?)' so that we all benefit? Have a shared database/repository. Or does that have major disadvantages?

*** SMACK **** >> just found the 'import from online database' button... sigh...

Thanks,

R

Edited by dutchclimber

Let's see if I can reply to everything still today. ;)

1) Ketarin allows you to have only 1 download/job. So if you want to have a dutch AND english ZA you need 2 jobs.

2) You need to have aditional jobs for plugins, addons, etc.

3) Yes, in general DL from source is better.

4) That database already exists. Go to 'Add a new application'>'Import from online database', type for instance 'zonealarm' >'import' and you have your job created. (I see that you found it)

Edited by FranciscoR

Are you sure '1043' is country_code (e.g. static) ? If yes, all you need is a variable for version, for regex use

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/1043_en/zaSuiteSetup_([\d+_]+)en.exe

and for DL source

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/1043_en/zaSuiteSetup_{version}en.exe

You're welcome. ;)

Edited by FranciscoR