Ketarin forum

Let the Cripple Ketarin Games Begin...

CybTekSol

Flo,

The cripple Ketarin games have started apparently. :( I update >100 apps through FreewareFiles.com almost daily, until today that is. I originally thought their site was down, but after a little investigation, I have discovered they have banned my IP address! I guess that is their answer to Ketarin users. I can now access their site through anonymous proxy only (Stealthy.US). They couldn't cripple Ketarin directly, so they have resorted to banning IPs... how friendly of them. Those ad revenues must be very important to them. Any suggestions other than altering my proxy configuration (which I prefer not to do)? Remember months ago when I was worried about this very sort of retaliation directed against Ketarin users? Their is no other reason for my IP being banned there except my use of Ketarin that I can even vaguely imagine... unless they don't like my ISP.

Hm...don't you have a dynamic IP? Or did they block a whole lot of them?

No, my ISP provides only static IPs unfortunately Flo. :(

Well, I guess the best policy of not getting banned is not to abuse those sites. I mean checking updates on hourly basis won't do you much good but will make you quite visible in server logs.

That's what is puzzling about this Stalker as I only do a global update for them every day or two at the most. :(

Well, then you indeed have a problem ;)

There is no way to hide your IP other than using a proxy. At least I don't know of any.

I tested Ketarin last night with a free 'elite anonymizer proxy' and it worked for their site but I don't completely trust the free ones that I have found so I'd rather not do that unless someone on the forum can suggest ones that are trustworthy.

You just might not want to use such friendly download sites anymore.

Agreed... I am already looking for alternatives for the 103 apps I was monitoring through their site and considering removing their template I developed and posted in the template section as they have thoroughly ticked me off over this. I certainly don't want to encourage others to use their site after this. ;) What do you think Flo? Should I remove the template or just post a disclaimer describing their retaliatory action?

No need to remove it. Maybe this way they'll have to block *all* their visitors eventually, hehe ;)

That's a GREAT way of looking at it! I'll just post regarding the possibility of being banned with the template then. BTW, I am manually disabling 103 apps which has made me realize that the 'search & select' feature I requested might need to be 'search & select/disable/enable'. ;) At YOUR convenience of course... no pressure from me.

Maybe it's worth firing them up an email asking why they did it. Maybe it's not due to Ketarin. Some blacklisting gone bad for example. I do remember blocking half of AOL after having to deal with that particular idiot on the forums I was administering. Nothing bad came out of it in that case though, everyone was happy to have less AOLers. But it your case maybe it's something akin to this what happened.

Maybe it's worth firing them up an email asking why they did it. Maybe it's not due to Ketarin. Some blacklisting gone bad for example.

That's exactly what I did late yesterday Stalker because I had a similar problem a decade ago on a server I was administering. They said they had a 'overly aggressive deny script' that had caused several similar denials and corrected my banned IP in less than 2 hours. :D I will reserve a final judgment on this ordeal until some point in the future in case it occurs again... know what I mean? ;)

...everyone was happy to have less AOLers.
LOL!