Ketarin forum

Laundry List

rz0

Thanks for the excellent program. I'm making much use of it. Here are some bugs I've run across, along with a couple of ideas I thought you might entertain. Sorry about the long list.

1. How exactly does the "execute the following command after downloading" work? Ideally, I would like it to accept a relative path to a batch script that would be executed after the updated file has been downloaded, but I wasn't able to get it to execute anything.

2. When running Ketarin with the /SILENT switch, is there anyway to direct output to stdout? Ketarin itself doesn't output anything I think, but wget or whatever is used as the backend is outputting to the console, which can't be redirected (and isn't very silent).

3. If you have an update configured to download to a specific file, and the path to the file doesn't exist, it should create the path. Right now it just fails.

4. If you have an update set to download to %temp%\app.zip, and it exists when you first open Ketarin, but you delete the app.zip and then attempt to rename it through Ketarin via F2, Ketarin throws an exception. Very low chance of this affecting normal use but I thought I'd report it nonetheless.

5. A lot of applications have mirrors, and it would be great it Ketarin could take advantage of this. For example, Ketarin could accept multiple URLs per job, and if the first one times out, 404's, or otherwise fails, it would move down the list and attempt again.

6. An option to store downloaded file information in a table so that instead of having to compare to the file directly, it can refer to the table to decide whether or not it should download the file. This would allow Ketarin to download only new updates even though the archive itself, of which the contents have already been extracted, may have been deleted.

7. This is of little importance, but if it matters, I liked the older Ketarin icon better =)

I've scripted this program into a series of batch files that I used to keep my programs up to date. Before I was using wget, but this program makes things much neater. This little program and your active development is much appreciated.

1. You should use absolute paths. Regarding relative paths, I wouldn't know to what they should be relative.

2. It does output something. You have no option to redirect it somewhere else per option.

3. Work for me. Make sure that you are using the latest version.

4. OK.

5. Yep, might be useful.

6. Don't like this idea too much currently.

7. Well, you should get used to it ;) The previous icon was just a generic one, bought as part of an icon set from VirtualLNK. Not the best option, in particular, the icon was not allowed to be used anywhere else. And I like the new icon :-p

Thanks for your feedback :)

1. Basically, I have everything installed in one folder. As long as the directory structure stays the same within that one folder, then it can but moved around and placed anywhere, copied to a USB key etc, and all the scripts will still work. Using absolute paths in Ketarin breaks this. Relative paths are allowed for the target download dir, so I imagine you would allow relative paths for this parameter for the same reasons. If anything, just make it relative to ketarin.exe.

3. I'm experiencing this problem in version 0.9.9.7. I have a job set to download to a file with a relative path, and when the download completes and the move/rename operation is attempted, it fails and gives the error: "Could not find a part of the path [Fully expanded absolute path]"

6. Yeah I thought it was a long shot. Right now I'm currently downloading an archive, extracting it, and moving the files to the proper place. Then I delete the original archive to save space on the USB key, leaving Ketarin with nothing to make the comparison against. I'm currently working around this in a way I can live with, so it's not a big deal.

Edited by rz0

Haha, I originally thought you meant that they worked (as long as the path already existed), but weren't officially supported. I know relative paths work for the target download dir, which is why I thought that the behavior described was a bug.

As for the global variables, I'm not even sure how they work to be honest, but unless they can be assigned relative paths as well, I don't think it would solve my problem either. A typical scenario is that I have all my apps, including Ketarin, running and installed on a USB key. If I always ran it on one computer, then that USB key would always have the same drive letter, and I wouldn't need to worry about relative paths. If I move the USB key to a different computer though, the USB drive my be assigned a different letter, breaking any absolute paths.