Ketarin forum

Export To XML doesnt save current data properly

illwill

when i export to xml to use on my portable device for a fresh system , the data exported is missing a few items

to recreate this, try adding items to menu then export as xml, close ketarin and delete the jobs.db in %userprofile%\Application Data\Ketarin

when you re-open ketarin you will have no items until you import the backedup .xml ,you will notice some items will be missing

the job.db and backup .xml info doesnt match

Edited by illwill

why does ketarin write to app folder , it should just write into same directory

From the documentation:

By default, Ketarin will create a database file in %appdata%/Ketarin, so that it is a per-user database. You can also move this file to the application path (where Ketarin.exe is located), then it will always use the database from the startup location and is thus suited for USB sticks or the like.

You can "trick" Ketarin into creating the empty database right in the directory with Ketarin:

1. Before launching Ketarin, create a zero-length file named "jobs.db" in the directory with Ketarin (using standard windows tools such as File -> New from Windows Explorer menu, etc.).

2. THEN launch Ketarin.

Instead of creating the jobs.db over in the default area, Ketarin will find the zero-length "jobs.db" file you put into the same directory with it. Ketarin will format it into a proper blank database, ready for input, when Ketarin comes up.

--appyface

Which items? Can you reproduce?

I know of one for sure. That's the Change Indicator Variable's (CIV's) *value*... The value is not in the exported XML, so of course cannot be imported into a new database.

Flo discusses his reasons for this in another thread, start here:

http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1410#p1410

and follow only the portions concerning "Bob and Alice" and the CIV as there are several issues being discussed simultaneously in that thread.

I still don't agree with the reasoning but since this is Flo's program, he wins all arguments by default LOL

@illwill Are there any others not being exported? The value of the CIV is the only one I know about.

--appyface