Ketarin forum

AVG offline update

Xanderificus

Hey, guys.

While I'm normally tech-savvy, I'm no good with regular expressions, etc. I've got Ketarin setup to update a ton of installers and such but not sure where to go on this one.

The last update addresss was:

http://free.avg.com/softw/80free/update/f8all237ns.bin

The filename doesn't seem to have any relevant info (date/version code) in it.

At the moment, it's listed as:

Windows: 8.0.237 All necessary modules February 11, 2009 28.2 MB

...and links to: http://free.avg.com/softw/80free/update/f8all237ns.bin

(And I downloaded it this morning, manually)

The "f8all237ns.bin" is the dynamic part. The "237" in the middle has to do with the version number but there's no way to determine how much it's changed from last time. It could go from "237" to "241" next time.

(Granted, it's almost 2 weeks old as an update but if the customer is on dial-up, I'd rather get them 'almost' up-to-date then leave them a few months out. Hence, even if I don't need it, I'd rather have the most recent offline update available to me.

That's the whole point of Ketarin, right?)

Edited by Xanderificus

Like I said at the start, I'm relatively savvy. I can chase a rootkit down to the end but don't mess much with the 'codey' side of things .... so XML wouldn't help me much.

It'd be more helpful to get the actual URL+variable line to enter into the 'Add Application' box.

(Probably moreso for those even less savvy than me)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Anti-Virus_Update_d4478.html

^^ another download link; this one giving today's update as its source.

OK... =) use hxxp://free.avg.com/softw/{app}.bin as DL URL and create an {app} variable using that page URL and this regex: hxxp://free\.avg\.com/softw/(\d+?free/update/\w+?)\.bin

(replace xx with tt, obviously)

P.S. For Majorgeeks you can try CybTekSol template...

Edited by FranciscoR

@Xanderificus,

This may be easier... I am posting a slightly modified version of an application export that I currently use to download AVG's Off-Line Updates. You can import this and tweak it to your needs for your setup. Hope this helps... ;)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<Jobs>
 <ApplicationJob xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
   <DownloadBeta>Default</DownloadBeta>
   <DownloadDate xsi:nil="true" />
   <VariableChangeIndicator />
   <CanBeShared>true</CanBeShared>
   <ShareApplication>false</ShareApplication>
   <HttpReferer />
   <Variables>
     <item>
       <key>
         <string>version</string>
       </key>
       <value>
         <UrlVariable>
           <VariableType>Textual</VariableType>
           <Regex />
           <Url />
           <TextualContent>{f:yyyy}-{f:MM}-{f:dd}</TextualContent>
           <Name>version</Name>
         </UrlVariable>
       </value>
     </item>
     <item>
       <key>
         <string>download_url</string>
       </key>
       <value>
         <UrlVariable>
           <VariableType>RegularExpression</VariableType>
           <Regex>\>Updates\<.*?href="([a-z]+://.*?\.[a-z]{3})"</Regex>
           <Url>http://free.avg.com/download-update</Url>
           <Name>download_url</Name>
         </UrlVariable>
       </value>
     </item>
   </Variables>
   <ExecuteCommand />
   <Category>AntiVirus\Definiton Updates</Category>
   <SourceType>FixedUrl</SourceType>
   <DeletePreviousFile>true</DeletePreviousFile>
   <Enabled>true</Enabled>
   <FileHippoId />
   <LastUpdated xsi:nil="true" />
   <TargetPath>{target}\{category}\{appname:replace: :_}_v{f:yyyy}-{f:MM}-{f:dd}.{url:ext}</TargetPath>
   <FixedDownloadUrl>{download_url}</FixedDownloadUrl>
   <Name>AVG Off-Line Updates</Name>
 </ApplicationJob>
</Jobs>

It saves the file as AVG_Off-Line_Updates_v(Full-Date).bin in a 'AntiVirus\Definiton Updates' sub-folder... tweak EVERYTHING to YOUR needs... especially the <Category> and <TargetPath>.

CybTekSol

@CybTekSol

Excluding version, your XML will return EXACTLY the same as my post above... OR not ? =D But he did say "NO XML please", that's for newbies... =)

P.S. Now I have my own MajorGeeks template, where should I put it ? In the end of your thread, open a new one...? Flo, any thoughts ?

Edited by FranciscoR

@CybTekSol

Excluding version, your XML will return EXACTLY the same as my post above... OR not ? =D

That is CORRECT... my post is just a modification of the one I've used for some time...
But he did say "NO XML please", that's for newbies... =)
I didn't intend to 'step on anyone's toes'... but possibly there ARE newbies reading this thread that may be interested in the XML import for 'AVG's Off-Line Updates' that I posted considering AVG's popularity? I don't care if Xanderificus uses it or not, but maybe someone can. I'm just here to help in any way I can. ;)
P.S. Now I have my own MajorGeeks template, where should I put it ? In the end of your thread, open a new one...? Flo, any thoughts ?
Posting it as a NEW thread with a title such as 'FranciscoR's MajorGeeks.com Template' would be my preference since my template has the title 'CybTekSol's Universal MajorGeeks.com Template'. It may be a little confusing to have yours under that heading.

More info is not a bad thing.

My apologies for one thing: I'd never noticed that the newer version imports an XML into it. Since "target path" didn't make sense (code-wise) to me, I just edited that one part once imported. While I don't know XML (but may learn it someday), it's not impossible to pick bits out of it.

@CybTekSol ... how would the XML adapt to include the other BINs on the same page? (In order to bring AVG 100% up to date?)

More info is not a bad thing.
Agreed...

My apologies for one thing: I'd never noticed that the newer version imports an XML into it.
It imports/exports a 'app definition' and/or 'app template' (which I simply refer to as a template)... there are critical differences in the two... see the major differences HERE. The thread is about creating a template manually in a compatible external editor (such as NotePad2) which was written before 'export as application template' capability was added to Ketarin by Florian. The changes needed to accomplish this externally will demonstrate the major differences between the two.

Since "target path" didn't make sense (code-wise) to me, I just edited that one part once imported.
If you follow this forum regularly all of this will become more clear to you. ;)

While I don't know XML (but may learn it someday), it's not impossible to pick bits out of it.
It's not as complicated as it appears so don't let it intimidate you!

@CybTekSol ... how would the XML adapt to include the other BINs on the same page? (In order to bring AVG 100% up to date?)
If you have successfully created an 'AVG Off-Line Updates' app entry as we've discussed that is for the largest and least frequently updated .bin... I would highlight that entry in Ketarin, right-click the mouse, select copy then right-click the mouse again and select paste to create a duplicate app entry in Ketarin that can simply be renamed and the regex tweaked for the .bin you want. This procedure can be repeated until you get all the .bin files you want.

Examples follow for the other 3 .bin files on that download page:

Make these modifications for each individual app WITHIN Ketarin...

Names are just suggestions and are for info only... name them what you want!

If you used my regex then, do the following:

1)Name: AVG Link Scanner DB

Regex to capture the URL changed to:

\>Updates\<.*?Windows:.*?href="([a-z]+://.*?\.[a-z]{3})"

2)Name: AVG AVI Definitions

\>Updates\<.*?Link[ ]Scanner[ ]DB:.*?href="([a-z]+://.*?\.[a-z]{3})"

3)Name: AVG IAVI Definitions

\>Updates\<.*?AVI:.*?href="([a-z]+://.*?\.[a-z]{3})"

If you used FranciscoR's regex then, do the following:

1)Name: AVG Link Scanner DB

Regex to capture the {app} variable changed to:

Windows:.*?hxxp://free\.avg\.com/softw/(\d+?free/update/\w+?)\.bin

2)Name: AVG AVI Definitions

Link[ ]Scanner[ ]DB:.*?hxxp://free\.avg\.com/softw/(\d+?free/update/\w+?)\.bin

3)Name: AVG IAVI Definitions

AVI:.*?hxxp://free\.avg\.com/softw/(\d+?free/update/\w+?)\.bin

(replace xx with tt in above regex)

Hope this will do want you want to do...

CybTekSol

possibly there ARE newbies reading this thread that may be interested in the XML

AGREED.

NEW thread with a title such as 'FranciscoR's MajorGeeks.com Template'

Actually I think simple template variations, like the one I did and use with Softpedia, should go into the same thread. For Majorgeeks I run into trouble with the provided regex (like I said before), so I replaced regex in all variables. But I kept the method, that as far as I can tell, is currently the best: info_url-redir-dl_ulr. So my Majorgeeks template - I'm still testing it and it can change - is, for the moment, a more developed variation of yours, but althought we are talking of different degrees of variation (this is all a bit blurred for me), I do agree that in this site, the simplest for a user to find an alternative template IS the top of a new thread. I will do that (when ready).

I'd never noticed that the newer version imports an XML into it.

I don't remember when it didn't. Trust us Xanderificus, XML and specifically templates are THE WAY to enhance Ketarin built-in functionalities.

Edited by FranciscoR