Ketarin forum

Auto extract .zip .rar .7z to specified directory after downloading

demondreamer

Wonderful program! I use it to check for new versions and update almost all my thumbdrive apps. I especially love those apps that have a zipped version available as Ketarin downloads it and then unzips it to the final directory on my thumbdrive. Now aside form the AV installers and such, even my portable apps are always the latest version!

BTW, figuring out the unzip commands for me was a bit of a pain so I thought I’d share it.

You need the dos or command line version of unzip.exe. I had one on my computer but you can find one on google if you need.

in the “Execute the following command after downloading” in the Advanced Settings tab, you need to enter something like this:

\Thumbdrive\PortableApps\unzip.exe -o \Thumbdrive\PortableApps\PROGRAMFOLDER\PROGRAM.zip -d \Thumbdrive\PortableApps\PROGRAMFOLDER\

I have the unzip.exe program in the \Thumbdrive\PortableApps\ folder on my thumbdrive. The -o switch instructs unzip.exe to overwrite files without prompting. Replace PROGRAMFOLDER with the name of the program of course, and PROGRAM.zip with the name of the zipped file. The -d switch instructs unzip.exe to extract the contents of the zipped file to the following directory - which in my case is \Thumbdrive\PortableApps\PROGRAMFOLDER\

You should also use the “Save to file” rather than the “Save in folder” option in the Download Location in Ketarin. This ensures the file name always matches what you specified unzip.exe to look for.

This same technique works for .RAR or .7z, or any other compressed file. You just need to locate the command line version of the unRAR.exe or un7z.exe program and adjust the switches.

One major roadblock to having my fully automated updated thumbdrive is programs that come with a self extracting installer. for example, HiJackThis.exe when run gives you a pop up box to tell it where you want to install it. Anyone know how to extract the files from these, or at least command line tell it where to install?

-Shannon

1. Why not use 7z.exe ? No need for unRAR.exe and as more switches.

2. I use {7z}7z x {file} -o{a}iview\ -y, with {a}=c:\progra~1\

3. You need a silent switch (if available) for that. For .paf.exe see http://portableapps.com/node/14174 ; a general repository of silent switches is http://silentswitch.wordpress.com/a/, but I haven't tested those.

4. Thanks for sharing, we do appreciate. ;)

1. Why not use 7z.exe ? No need for unRAR.exe and as more switches.

2. I use {7z}7z x {file} -o{a}iview\ -y, with {a}=c:\progra~1\

3. You need a silent switch (if available) for that. For .paf.exe see http://portableapps.com/node/14174 ; a general repository of silent switches is http://silentswitch.wordpress.com/a/, but I haven't tested those.

4. Thanks for sharing, we do appreciate. ;)

I wasn't aware that 7z did .rar too, that's handy. The link to the forum page about .paf.exe Portableapps.com installer is also very nice. Now I can auto-update and install their applications too. Here's the string I used to accomplish it:

PORTABLEAPPINSTALLER.exe /S /destination="\thumbdrive\portableapps\"

replace PORTABLEAPPINSTALLER.exe with the file name of the app you are working with. Again it's useful to "Save as file" to get a consistent file name as PortableApps likes to name their installer with the version number.

Many Thanks!

-Shannon

Edited by demondreamer

One major roadblock to having my fully automated updated thumbdrive is programs that come with a self extracting installer. for example, HiJackThis.exe when run gives you a pop up box to tell it where you want to install it. Anyone know how to extract the files from these, or at least command line tell it where to install?
One of my favorite apps, Universal Extractor is a perfect solution to this... works with MOST installers. It's available HERE.

One of my favorite apps, Universal Extractor is a perfect solution to this... works with MOST installers. It's available HERE.

Also one of my all time favorites =), but I'm wondering if that will work with Hijackthis... Simply because during install Hijackthis "hijacks" your registry with several new keys and values, while Universal Extractor will NOT do this on extraction... maybe on first run ?

----------------------------------

Keys

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis

HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro

HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis

Values

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe\: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\hijackthis.exe"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe\Path: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayName: "HijackThis 2.0.0"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\UninstallString: ""C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\HijackThis.exe" /uninstall"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayIcon: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\HijackThis.exe"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayVersion: "2.0.0"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\Publisher: "TrendMicro"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis\WinHeight: "8000"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis\WinWidth: "9000"

I believe (not positive though) it will create the necessary ones on first run, just not the un-install info, etc.. It is not a stealthy app, therefore, if it is run as a portable app manual cleaning of the registry (at least) will be required to eliminate evidence of your presence... know what I mean? ;)

• 9 months later...
The link to the forum page about .paf.exe Portableapps.com installer is also very nice. Now I can auto-update and install their applications too. Here's the string I used to accomplish it:

PORTABLEAPPINSTALLER.exe /S /destination="\thumbdrive\portableapps\"

The /S silent switch is no longer enabled in the paf installer – see this PortableApp.com thread. For another approach to extracting *.paf.exe files, see this thread.

• 1 month later...

Ok new to this trying to understand the random gobaldiegook that you need to get ketarin to unzip stuff.

How is it that I can use 7zip to extract overwrite and delete the zip package?

For example I download "program.zip" to "..\Apps\program" then what?

It can be accomplished with commands (both local and global)... research the forum as there is enough info regarding this to piece it all together. Yes Ketarin is powerful and geared somewhat towards 'technogeeks' like me... but the time you invest in it will be well worth it!

Hi CybTekSol I can see the power of it I just cant harness it. I'm looking through the forum but so far I'm finding no help as I dont understand what I'm reading. I've read man pages for 7zip and obviously I'm doing something wrong the commands work in the cli but ketarin does nothing with these same commands. I've not tried Universal Extractor cos I cant find any info on the command line commands.

• 6 months later...