Ketarin forum

OT: windows updates

mkny13

I figured the Ketarin userbase might be a good group to ask the following question of: anyone had success with an app to d/l windows updates? Ketarin is of great help to me in maintaining 50+ public computers. If I could only find something that made downloading microsoft updates easier, I could reduce the time spent on each machine significantly. Windows Updates Downloader keeps crashing on me. Anyone come across better software or had success w/ WUD? -Mike

Anyone come across better software or had success w/ WUD? -Mike
I have used WUD with some success although it has some annoying limitations such as insisting on re-downloading updates that exist on your hard drive. I suspect their d/l lists could be fed into Ketarin using a template; I just don't have the time to tackle it now. Anyone else? I use Secunia Personal Software Inspector and Belarc Advisor on all my builds to keep abreast of their security status... both are freeware for personal use. Hope this helps... maybe within a couple of weeks I'll try to find the time to develop a template for the WUD lists if their format is such that the URLs can be 'scraped' with regex. It has been so long since I looked at them I cannot recall. ;)

FWIW I've used Heise Security's "DIY" service pack for some time and through many versions. It works very well.

What I like is that it creates an ISO to patch everything (within your parameters when you created the ISO, you might choose parameters which will not work on some systems). IOW, the ISO is not system-specific, you can burn that ISO to CD or mount the ISO or update pack directory to multiple computers at different patch levels and bring them all current.

Be aware there are some patches that Heise does not (and rightly, IMO) pick up.

For example, it is limited to Windows OS and some MS-Office versions. It will not pick up patches to SQL Server or other optional system components. It also will not pick up any hardware patches that are sometimes offered from m$ update. That sort of thing.

You can of course modify it to pick other things up if you like. Just be aware that "out of the chute" these things are not present.

Personally I always write separate ISOs for windows OS and for Office per their parameter options. I did try a combined XP/MS-Office 2003 ISO once, ran into trouble on one machine, I did not investigate cause just went back to making separate ISOs and have not had trouble.

Hope that helps,

--appyface