Ketarin forum

'Step-by-Step' HOW TO Copy and Use a TEMPLATE Posted HERE!

CybTekSol

It never occurred to me that some Ketarin users would be confused regarding the use of templates posted in this forum section. Apparently not everyone is as 'geeky' as my wife says I am. ;) Please forgive me for this oversight. As a result, I am posting a Step-by-Step 'HowTo' in an attempt to alleviate the confusion.

To use a template posted in this forum section:

1) Highlight ALL the text displayed inside the template 'code' box either by left-clicking at the left-top-uppermost position and dragging over the text with your mouse OR by left-clicking the mouse while the cursor is inside the 'code' box, releasing the mouse and pressing Ctrl-A on the keyboard.

2) Copy the highlighted text either by right-clicking the mouse on the highlighted text and selecting copy OR pressing Ctrl-C on the keyboard.

3) Paste the text into a 'UTF-16' compliant editor such as NotePad2 or PSPad which are both freeware.

4) Save the file to your hard drive with an appropriate filename with xml as the extension.

5) Import the template into Ketarin by either selecting 'Import' from the drop-down 'File' menu OR by left-clicking the small down-arrow on the right-hand side of the 'Add new application' button with your mouse and selecting 'Import from file...' that is exposed... then navigating to the template you saved on your hard drive using the 'Open' dialog window's file browse and selection capability... highlight the file name by left-clicking on it with the mouse and click the 'Open' button or left-double-click on the file name with the mouse.

6) When the template opens... supply data for the prompts (if 'placeholders' are used) and modify other data as necessary.

Hope this helps,

CybTekSol

Well guys, thank you, this got me a lot further - but I have a few comments:

1) Highlighting the template's text in Firefox doesn't seem to work very well for some reason. A "drag" doesn't auto-scroll the text box, and clicking-within-the-box then ctrl-A selects everything on the entire page. I reluctantly used IE for that part. At least I got THAT part to work. :)

2) The UTF-16 thing was a big surprise (I've never done any web dev), but I installed Notepad2 and it doesn't seem to support it. ANSI, Unicode and UTF-8 only. I tried each and tried changing Line Endings to LF only, still no luck. So I tried PSPad too, and it does do UTF-16, but I tried both Big and Little Endian, no luck either.

3) Explaining the "no luck" comments: After I saved the template from FranciscoR in post http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1250#p1250 as xml (I tried many combinations of programs, encoding, LF/CR, crossing my fingers), I tried both methods of importing, and I get the same error "Failed to import the file: There is an error in XML document (19,19)."

4) Is the 19,19 an indication of (line,character) of the error, or am I just missing something obvious? Is there maybe another setting in PSPad that you WebDev types already have changed that is vital?

5) More apologies from the Noob (that's ME!) for not knowing more about this and dragging you guys down, but I'm hoping there are some lurkers out there that might also benefit from the spoon-feeding you're giving me.

6) Just in case you're wondering, I'm running Vista 32, Ketarin 0.9.9.21, PSPad 4.5.3, and FF 3.0.6, and if you guys can get me through this, I promise I'll buy you a beer or twelve at the first annual Ketarin User Conference!

Thanks

@EY,

I have copied to clipboard, pasted the template in question into NotePad2 and PSPad with their default settings and imported the template into Ketarin without any problems. You are making this more complicated than necessary by worrying about the utf-16 encoding... leave NotePad2 at its defaults (Encoding: ANSI and Line Endings: Windows) and it will figure out the details by the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> line in the xml as has been my experience. Flo, please correct me if I am wrong since you're the coder extraordinaire on staff. ;)Your problem is that the version of Ketarin (0.9.9.21) you are using DOES NOT support 'placeholders' which are used in FranciscoR's template. You will need (0.9.9.22) or later... preferably later... such as version (1.0.2). Please make a backup copy of your jobs.db file before upgrading to be safe. BTW... I'll take you up on that beer or 12... a Bavarian style pilsner will do! :D

Thanks! I was hoping it was something stupid like that (I didn't realize the versions changed so much around here!) Maybe we could get a new feature - a check-for-updates and offer-to-upgrade-upon-startup so you guys don't have to deal with mindless dolts that don't check for the latest versions of a program that checks for the latest versions? Ok, now my head hurts. A nice keg of Bavarian Pilsner might just do the trick!

Anyway, thanks for the lessons and I'll let you know how it goes! Hope someone else benefited from this too!

BTW, the link on the main page still says 1.0.1.19 is the latest. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks again guys, I just finished doing 30 programs from PortableApps.com using that template! Woo HOO!!!

But, when I tried sharing them, I couldn't get it to work. I tried doing an "update" (thinking that might update the file AND the database), I tried ending the application and restarting, no luck. And I tried one I didn't find already IN the database, so I'm sure that wasn't it. Any pointers? Or am I not waiting long enough?

Also, I named all of mine "PortableApps-{appname}" to separate them. If that isn't allowed, I would be glad to rename them, share them (if you can tell me how), and then "unshare" them so I can rename them the way *I* want them. Fair enough? I think it's the LEAST I can do since I got so much help from you guys.