Ketarin forum

Exclude FileHippo from online database?

floele

Hi all,

I noticed that there is a huge amount of applications in our database which are just "defined" by a FileHippo ID, so quite trivial actually. I don't think that these applications are worth sharing, because they distract from those applications which are *not* trivial. For example, search for "Flash" and you will find that most applications are just "flashplayer_firefox", so nothing special at all.

What do you think?

What are "good" FileHippo applications? Except for an ID and the application name, there is not much that can be good or bad.

The duplicate entries are - for the most part - FileHippo entries. One possible solution could also be to restrict the number of uploaded applications to 1 per FileHippo ID.

Well, for me, a "good" entry is the entry which is:

1) Properly named

2) Works

3) Works fast

4) Contains a {version}

I can see a reason why FileHippo entries aren't worth keeping but still I think it's easier to just type the app name and click OK to add an application rather than going to FileHippo, copying a link, pasting a link and clicking Add :) Maybe I'm just lazy though.

The duplicate entries are - for the most part - FileHippo entries. One possible solution could also be to restrict the number of uploaded applications to 1 per FileHippo ID.

If I were you I would go even as far as allowing one application per unique download URL. If app names differ but download URL is the same you reject the entry. I understand that the method is not 100% reliable due to dynamic URLs but it will at least reduce the amount of duplicate entries.