Ketarin forum

Executable hangs (corrupt jobs.db?)

mkny13

I've been using this program for a couple weeks with great success (I administer about 50 public computers at work). All of a sudden, though, when I try to launch it from my thumbdrive, it displays a button on the taskbar but never gets any farther. Same result on multiple computers, even after downloading program files. I moved the jobs.db file to another directory and the program loads fine, though without my many jobs (obviously). Apparently something in my jobs.db is causing it to hang. Is there any way for me to recover that job list? Nothing irreplacable, just time consuming.

Link to my jobs.db file: http://drop.io/j789d2e

Flo,

Every since this issue was first encountered by emil.sekula on 1/26/09, and then appyface, I have been making timed backups of my Jobs.db file in order that if I ever experienced this issue, I would be able to quickly recover to a previous Jobs.db with as little data update lost as possible. Also, this would allow me to compare the two files to possibly discover the 'offending data', however, with the hundreds of hours I have spent tweaking and testing Ketarin... this has never been an issue. This is strange indeed... I hope you have a clue as to why it is so rare as I don't have the slightest! ;) Possibly a specific combination of events?

@CybTekSol

I can't speak for the window position problem itself, but I can tell you that the follow on error I encountered to it ***, is NOT stored in the jobs.db file.

I can recreate the follow on error 100% of the time with an empty jobs db file. OK, I do have to manually add at one record to the jobs.db otherwise Ketarin has nothing to do, to evidence the follow on error. I did add the record manually, I did not do any import of template, etc.

So if this ever happens to you, I don't think there will be anything wrong with the jobs.db file itself... that's just my experience so far.

--appyface

*** Follow on error: Once the 'disappearing' normal window thing happened, Ketarin would throw very strange exceptions if I tried to update anything, tried to edit a variable and look at scraped webpage etc. Simplying renaming the directory Ketarin was in at the time of the lost window thing, completely removes the follow-on error and Ketarin works completely normally. If I rename the directory back to the name it had when the window thing happened, Ketarin will again throw weird exceptions.

As mentioned above, I can put Ketarin into that original directory name, and let it create a brand-new jobs.db over in Documents and setttings when I first launch it. I can then leave the empty jobs.db over there, or I can move it into the directory with Ketarin.exe, it matters not. I do have to add one app to give Ketarin something to do. As soon as I have done that, I ask Ketarin to update the app and I get the same weird exceptions thrown. Rename the directory and all is well.

Very strange .NET thing, I think Flo is right about that.

FWIW I posted this on a C# .NET forum to see if anyone had encountered this, but I did not immediately post the actual exception thrown.

After getting immediately blasted by two a**hole defenders of .NET that it MUST be an applicaton problem (why do people think they are helping, with that attitude toward the helpee?), I pointed out to them they should not shoot the messenger :-) And that I was careful to state "possible bug" "how can I confirm that it IS a bug with .NET and not an app problem" etc.

I then posted the actual exception. There has been absolute silence since then :-) I hope they realize they were rude, but I still would like to get the attention of Microsoft on it, if it is in fact a .NET bug... The window size thing and this exception follow on, helps no one...

I moved the jobs.db file to another directory and the program loads fine, though without my many jobs (obviously).

This is different from my experience. I can use the exact same jobs.db and all my jobs and settings are still there, and they work as long as Ketarin's directory is not the name it had, when the weird window thing happened. I can rename Ketarin's directory back to that original name and Ketarin no longer works. Rename the directory to something else -- and all is fine again. Same jobs.db file.

I have exported my jobs.db file. Then put Ketarin into a directory (not the original one) and let it create a brand-new, empty jobs.db file. I then imported my XML file of all jobs. All is well. I rename the directory, and Ketarin does not run.

As I posted above, Ketarin does not run with a brand-new jobs.db with just one entry added to it (if in the original directory name). So for me my jobs.db does not have a problem at all, it is not corrupted and works fine. As does the one I created by importing my XML file of my jobs.

Hope this helps,

--appyface

Edited by appyface

So for me my jobs.db does not have a problem at all, it is not corrupted and works fine. As does the one I created by importing my XML file of my jobs.
This is why I STILL BELIEVE Windows is caching this data somewhere... but I can not find it. :( Anybody else have a clue?

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it just saved the wrong window position. Try using the move window functionaliy from the context menu to bring it back to sight.

I'll add a change for future versions to ignore such settings.

Sorry for the delay, I thought I had subscribed to this topic, but apparently not.

So simple, I feel like a dope. I had last used it on my 24" display, then was trying to open it on 15" monitors, so that makes sense. Thanks.