Ketarin forum

saved file location : predefined variable ?

fat115

Hello,

First of all : many thanks for this great app !

It saves me a lot of time when I install a new PC so, once again, thank you Florian !

Just a question : is there a predefined variable like {file} but without x.exe ? in fact the path entered in the "save to" field, I need it for a post-treatment command.

I know it's possible to define a path using global variables and/or category/appname but it doesn't respond to my needs.

Two others things, I might better post them in "Feature requests" but there are not really requests, just hints.

- Searching for "Firefox" in the online database leads to many results (11 at the moment), not always very clear. Wouldn't be interesting to add a field "Comments" in the database so that one can add notes like "french version", "german version", "beta" or "portable" in this comment field instead of the main field ? In particular for those who use {appname} in their saving location.

- I use Ketarin for 2 goals : one is to update installers before creating unattended windows CD (professionnal use) and the second is just to maintain my personals systems up to date. Applications are not the same for these 2 goals. I wonder if it will be possible for Ketarin to manage more than one database in the future ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

I'm glad that you like it! :)

1. I'll add a function "directory" which extracts the directory path of any variable content. Seems most versatile to me.

2. As with all user generated data, there will never be a perfectly clean database. If I add a comments field, it will probably be left empty anyway.

3. I don't see a need for that. If at all, I could add a command line switch which allows you to create shortcuts for running Ketarin with either of your databases, but never two at once.

@Stalker you beat me to it :-)

@fat115

Ketarin does not have an installer. Create a directory somewhere to your liking and put Ketarin.exe and System.Data.SQLite.DLL in it.

The first time you run Ketarin, it will create a file called jobs.db in a predefined location, I forget exactly the path now but it is in Documents and Settings folder. That jobs.db file is the one any instance of Ketarin will use, so you will only have one database.

So to work around that. You can put Ketarin.exe and System.Data.SQLite.DLL both into two or more folders, AND copy your jobs.db into all of these folders. Ketarin will use the jobs.db it finds in its own folder, and will ignore any located in Documents and Settings. (You can delete the stuff in Documents and Settings if all your Ketarin instances have their own jobs.db files with them.)

A trick you can use to get a good jobs.db file with each Ketarin instance: Before you run Ketarin for the first time in a directory, create an empty (0-length) jobs.db file in that directory. Then launch that directory's Ketarin.exe, it will find and format the empty jobs.db file that it finds in there, rather than trying to look in Documents and Settings for one. Ketarin will come up with an empty database ready for you to start defining your applications.

You can then of course create shortcuts to each of your Ketarin.exe's if you wish, and put them into your Start or Programs menu or on your desktop, so you can easily access the separate databases for each purpose you require.

Hope that helps,

--appyface

Edited by appyface

• 2 weeks later...
@Stalker you beat me to it :-)

@fat115

You can put Ketarin.exe and System.Data.SQLite.DLL both into two or more folders, AND copy your jobs.db into all of these folders. Ketarin will use the jobs.db it finds in its own folder, and will ignore any located in Documents and Settings. (You can delete the stuff in Documents and Settings if all your Ketarin instances have their own jobs.db files with them.)

A trick you can use to get a good jobs.db file with each Ketarin instance: Before you run Ketarin for the first time in a directory, create an empty (0-length) jobs.db file in that directory. Then launch that directory's Ketarin.exe, it will find and format the empty jobs.db file that it finds in there, rather than trying to look in Documents and Settings for one. Ketarin will come up with an empty database ready for you to start defining your applications.

You can then of course create shortcuts to each of your Ketarin.exe's if you wish, and put them into your Start or Programs menu or on your desktop, so you can easily access the separate databases for each purpose you require.

Hope that helps,

--appyface

An excellent tip, I found I started with a 0.9.x version and then updated to the current beta, using 2 separate folders which led to errors, but it was not a major problem.

With the export feature and the same paths it's really easy to transfer Ketarin to another PC, another reason this app reall rocks...