Ketarin forum

Ketarin in Softpedia

emil.sekula

Softpedia proved to be quite an interesting project for me. I started out thinking that it would be fairly trivial to do with it what Flo did with FileHippo. I made methods similar to the FileHippo ones that did the same thing but with Softpedia. After a few days of debugging and numerous twists that I wasn't expecting it turns out that Softpedia isn't as robust as I thought it was. Some applications' download sections have multiple links to companion pieces of software that are completely separate from the application itself. Others have multiple links for different version (such as versions in different languages), making it difficult to identify which link should be the default (programmatically, of course). Also, the links aren't always in any particular order, which really doesn't help. Then there's External Mirrors versus Softpedia Dedicated Mirrors. Some of the dedicated mirrors simply redirected back to the download page, while some external mirrors take you to the download page on the application's website. I wasn't sure what to do.

While I DO have a (mostly) working Softpedia-enabled version of Ketarin sitting around, I don't like the fact that for some applications you'll end up downloading the Russian version or some other program that goes with the application instead. I was hoping to see Softpedia implemented as an automatic feature, like FileHippo, but it's a little unstable for that. At least I think so.

I developed one yesterday and I'm still testing it... I'll post it when it has been thoroughly vetted. ;)
I'm afraid it will be near impossible to develop a consistent template for Softpedia for the very reasons that Kerberos has so eloquently described. It did not take long for me to realize that there are too many variations in the way they list and serve applications! :o Even with if...then...else statements it would be quite an undertaking and above my skill level. Yikes! :( HOWEVER, on a brighter note, the template that I have developed for SnapFiles and still testing is working WELL! :) Edited by CybTekSol

CybTekSol did you get the app version scraping working for SoftPedia ? If yes, could you please send it to me because I'm struggling to get it working (at least without the user having to edit the regex to include the app name).

It's not 100% and it is slow to process, but here it is anyway... I'm scraping the version from within the 'title' tags. The way in which they list app versions varies so much, I'm not sure if a 'one size fits all' template will ever work.

<title>.*?(\d.*?[ ]Build[ ]\d.*?|\d.*?[ ]Beta[ ]\d.*?|\d.*?)[ ].*?</title>

If you improve it, please share it with me. ;)