Ketarin forum

Template Creation from XML Export

CybTekSol

If you have successfully created an app entry in Ketarin that has the potential to work 'universally' for other apps hosted by the particular site the app is downloaded from (utilizing the power of regular expressions within Ketarin), simply export that single entry to an XML file named considering the site's name (i.e. MajorGeeks-Template.xml) and edit it externally using NotePad2 (freeware) as Florian suggests if my memory serves me correctly...

****NOTE:

IF YOU WISH TO CREATE A TEMPLATE from one of YOUR XML exports:

1)It is important that the Guid="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" string be

removed from the XML export to use it as a template, otherwise you'll just keep

overwriting the previously saved application entry that was created using the

imported template

2) The <DownloadDate> line must be changed to <DownloadDate xsi:nil="true" />

3) The <LastUpdated> line must be changed to <LastUpdated xsi:nil="true" />

4) Remove the entire <PreviousLocation> line or replace it with <PreviousLocation />

5) Create 'placeholder' entries as needed (see THIS thread)

This works with the latest version of Ketarin (0.9.9.22) released January 18, 2009... If Florian changes the XML tag structure that Ketarin writes and utilizes this WILL HAVE TO BE MODIFIED obviously.

Other entries can be customized to suit your tastes, but be careful and verify all is well with your creation by importing it... modifying it... then saving it as a new app entry for at least two different apps. If you fail to remove the 'Guid=' entry as in 1) above, the first app WILL be overwritten and lost.

GOOD LUCK! :D

I hope this helps someone in their quest for generic templates...

CybTekSol

Another thing I would suggest against is using global variables unless absolutely necessary. In such case name your global variable to something descriptive and which will associate the variable with your template to avoid naming conflicts. For example {majorgeeks_prefered_mirror} but not {myvar1}.