Ketarin forum

Feature suggestions - location, tips, title, version & source...

Banksy

I've had a quick check through and haven't seen similar requests, so here's a couple of suggestions for additional features:

1) Default Download Location - Option to set default download location, so that new applications that are added automatically populate with the default location that has been set. This is for people like me who save all files to the same folder, I avoids the need to have to re-enter the drive/directory repeatedly. More of a lazy user friendly option but if its relatively easy for you to implement I wouldn't be the only one to use it.

2) Balloon Tips - Again not a major feature, but would it be worth adding a question mark icon on the add application screen that when hovered over shows general tips such as the available variable options (such as the ones on http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/20, possibly with another link to this as well).

3) FileHippo Auto Populate - Although I realise there's the online database (which it took me a while to realise was there). Would it be possible to auto populate the new application title (if blank) when the FileHippo ID is added. It's another lazy feature - your probably noticing a theme with my requests ;)

4) Version Details - There's probably a reason for this so sorry if you've gone over it before. Could the version option be added as a column default? I currently set it as mentioned in the docs in the custom column, what is the reason for it not being a default?

5) Application Source - Bit of an odd request but would it be possible to differentiate if an application has been setup as a FileHippo ID or not on the main display, maybe just with a logo if it is a FileHippo ID? This could help those who setup non-FileHippo Apps, such as sourceforge and therefore differentiate which ones are likely to be custom setups (with variables, version and webpage checks).

Anyway hope these requests aren't too stupid...

A default download location setting would be nice, but personally I'm ok with using a global variable to handle it. I like the tips idea though. With the list of variables and functions always on the verge of growing further it would be nice to be reminded of the many ways Ketarin can get the job done.

The FileHippoID auto-populate, on the other hand, is a bit tricky. In order to fill in the name of the application it would have to grab the web page, meaning a pause (most likely after the FileHippoID textbox loses focus) while the web page is fetched. In the end, I think it would probably come down to waiting the same amount of time it would take you to type the name of the application in manually. I'm not sure it would make much difference. I'll see if it makes things any better, just out of pure curiosity, but I'm not too sure it will. This is, of course, assuming that I'm considering the most efficient way to implement this. Flo could probably think of a better way to do it.

As for the FileHippo identifying icon or logo, I'm wondering where it could go. I don't really see anywhere to slip it in. It's an interesting idea, but where to put it?

4) The version is no predefined variable. It may or may not exist, depending on your variables and the download type.

5) Not for now. Before that, we probably need to get some extensibility feature for external sources and then we'll see.

I currently just type in "{root}\FILES\" for the Save in Folder...but certainly it would be nice to be able to set this as default. I realise I could setup a global variable to contain the two, which I might do for now.

I see what you mean Kerberos about the auto populate option, i wasn't sure how it currently converts the FileHippo URLs to ID along with download/version details, is this built into the app? This one isn't a big issue because I know most people have their own preferred naming conventions anyway.

I kind of understand you giving the option to add version as a custom column, in that non-FileHippo apps have to have the version check added as a custom variable in order to show any details. Just going off on a tangent, lets just say the version column was added in the future, I suppose for non defined apps a clickable icon or link (such as "not defined") could be displayed. Clicking on it would then take you to the apps Editable variables area...anyway not essential but might be an idea for a later release. At the same time, I suppose this might be an ideal place for identifying FileHippo IDs, with a small FH icon before the version. Non-FileHippo apps could have no icon, or even be user-definable. Anyway these are all pretty trivial requests but I'm just bouncing ideas around.

1) When I first requested this feature a while ago Flo came up with global variables idea which I actually like better. I can't continue to love the fact that you just define some global var like {DEST_DIR} and then save all your apps to {DEST_DIR}\{appname}_v{version}.{url:ext} (which can be easily copypasted from entry to entry) and voila ! Instead of something like Vista_R123.zip (Realtek Audio HD Driver package name) you get Realtek HD Audio Driver_v123.zip. Easy to use, easy to read, easy to find.

2) Since using Ketarin implies having constant internet access I think it could be implemented via dynamically retrieving tooltip content from kb page. That way help is always up to date.

Well, so far all of those requests - except for 3, which will be available in the next version - seem rather for releases in the distant future. Currently, for 1.0, I'm looking for small and easy to implement ideas which increase the "wow-effect" when using Ketarin for the first time ;)

Currently, for 1.0, I'm looking for small and easy to implement ideas which increase the "wow-effect" when using Ketarin for the first time ;)

If you ask me the "wow" feature of Ketarin is pressing an "Update" button and in a few minutes having an up-to-date repository for a few hundred applications (Experience may way depending on the connection speed :P).

Currently' date=' for 1.0, I'm looking for small and easy to implement ideas which increase the "wow-effect" when using Ketarin for the first time ;)[/quote']

If you ask me the "wow" feature of Ketarin is pressing an "Update" button and in a few minutes having an up-to-date repository for a few hundred applications (Experience may way depending on the connection speed :P).

@Stalker,

I agree completely! :D Using Ketarin, I'm able to fetch the latest versions of nearly 500 apps I use to build, customize and maintain a wide variety of PCs... I can do in minutes what use to take hours! Ketarin (and Flo) are a blessing to me indeed!! That's one heck of a WOW FACTOR for me!! ;)