Ketarin forum

Ketarin 0.9.9.21 beta

floele

So far... SO GOOD Florian!! Looks like you've hit it out of the park. :D No problems with my existing database. THANK YOU for implementing my feature requests (especially the 'new variable' dialog box drop-down list) and the others... I've re-enabled ALL my entries as none of them continually update although the version remained the same! ;) I'll continue to test today and let you know if I encounter any issues... but right now I'm IMPRESSED! YOU ROCK FLO! :D

Intentional ? :o :o :o C'mon, what other app has this behaviour ? IMHO, this is HIGLY anoying, is it possible to disable it ? I don't see why you had to change previous version, that from this point of view was running OK.

BTW, the other bug I reported is solved.

Edited by FranciscoR

Question about the "Use the following variable as indicator for changes": couldn't we use this field also to prevent the download of a file that has been renamed ? I've done some limited testing, but as far as I can tell, a renamed file is ALWAYS downloaded, even if I insert {version} in this field (& in variables, of course). This way we could automate file renames. :D

I've been testing a good portion of the day... exporting, importing, adding, tweaking, and on and on. ;) I'm VERY HAPPY with this beta and think it's a KEEPER! :D GREAT JOB Flo! I've only experienced one small hitch when I was manually editing a complex regular expression and hit a combo that Ketarin didn't like and froze... I think this was MY fault as I should have edited it outside of Ketarin and pasted it... which I did and then NO problems! ;)

@FranciscoR: This is because Ketarin wants to make sure that the file exists at the location you specified in the application definition. If you want to move the file to somewhere else, you'll also have to adjust the application, not only rename the file.

@CybTekSol: If you enter a RegEx which takes too long to compute...well, I guess you'll have to live with such problems for the moment ;)

Hi Flo,

Thanks for implementing feature to check a variable for update indicating.

The text of the input box says to provide a variable, I did but Ketarin didn't use it and updated the entry anyway. I discovered I have to put braces around it for Ketarin to use it.

I mention this only because, in other places where a variable is mentioned as the input (e.g File -> Settings -> Variable to use for Custom column), the braces are not specified around the variable name.

I'm looking forward to exercising this new version!

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

@FranciscoR: This is because Ketarin wants to make sure that the file exists at the location you specified in the application definition. If you want to move the file to somewhere else, you'll also have to adjust the application, not only rename the file.

I read in some older post that you didn't implement CRC, so why not using {version} to prevent download of a renamed file ? I'm testing only with a renamed {file} in {target} folder, not moving anything, {file} MD5 or SHA are the same, if server retrieves same {version} (exactly what is server currently retrieving, {version} + {appname} ?) we could opt not to download using the new field. Is that difficult to implement ?

This would solve the problem of files that continuously update & file renames in {target} folder. The problem I see is when you import XML, because {version}, not currently saved in database, is not populated; but this is not a problem...

Edited by FranciscoR

BTW, I've also noticed the new commands box, but it's not that bigger... if window height is now fixed, why not maximize the box removing the scrollbars ? Scrollbars don't do anything you can't do with keyboard, they're redundant. To be honest, I don't use them. The possibility to wrap commands is more interesting, at least for me.

@FranciscoR: Sorry, but I don't get your idea with CRCs, MDB and SHA1 ;)

Regarding the scrollbars: They are necessary. The scrollbars need to be there if the content exceeds the screen space, and won't be shown automatically on demand. A textbox without scrollbar is not nice.

What else should I explain ? If a file as the same MD5 (=same file, right ?) it shouldn't be downloaded, regardles if it was renamed or not. What's the point of downloading twice the same file ? Seems to me we can use {version} in "Use the following variable as indicator for changes" to prevent this behaviour, because checksums are not implemented in Ketarin. Currently, you cannot prevent this because Ketarin is retrieving MORE than just {version} when you insert {version} in "Use the following variable as indicator for changes" field.

Regarding the scrollbars: seems to me you're more a mouse person and I am more a keyboard person, but the problem for me as always been that the majority of my commands are getting CROPPED. I hardly use scrollbars. So why not let USER choose between SCROLL LINES or WRAP LINES in both command boxes ? This is more ergonomic for me, the least I use mouse, the better ! ;)

Edited by FranciscoR

@FranciscoR

I agree it is really handy to be able to drag a corner of dialog boxes and resize them. Like can be done with the variables definition pane in Ketarin, or the pop-up download errors window.

But I also appreciate Flo's position that boxes without scrollbars are not nice! I often use my Asus Eee PC 1000, a little 10" netbook with a maximum screen resolution of 1024x600 (OK it can do 1024x768 but the display itself has to be scrolled to reach the bottom of it).

I can't tell you how many times I encounter software with tall dialog boxes and no scrollbars, that require at least 768 depth (often more). I can't see the bottom half of the dialog boxes and can't reach the "OK" or "Cancel" buttons, I have to enable a 'move' command and reposition the top half of the dialog off the display first. VERY frustrating, scrollbars would be soooo friendly.

Best regards,

--appyface

@appyface

Well, we can have both a SCROLL LINES and/or WRAP LINES option. Another option, is to have an associated multiline editor, something simple just like this:

1zcmmhi.png

Anyway, if no one is interested, I just keep using third party tools to edit commands. Not a big deal !

Cheers,

Francisco

Edited by FranciscoR

First of all, there are no {md5} or {sha1} variables implemented yet. Once this is one, I could think about copying or moving (what should it actually do?) existing files which can be determined as identical instead of downloading them. Not a quick fix.